The Clip and Talk Bluetooth Car Kit – Solar Edition, also known as the Nexxus Drive Multi Solar car kit, is a high-quality solar-powered multi-point Bluetooth car kit that can also be used as a desktop speakerphone at home, or at the office.
It features a built-in solar panel that charges the unit when positioned in direct sunlight. If you plan to use it for a longer period of time you have to charge the speakerphone by conventional means.
This speakerphone is powered by the multi-point technology that allows you to connect two mobile phones at the same time, like for example the personal and work phones.
The product we are reviewing today comes from Mobile Fun that offered us the opportunity to use it and tell you what it can do to make your driving experience safer.
This speakerphone comes in a compact white with green box in which we found the Bluetooth speakerphone, the in-car charger, an USB charging cable, a windscreen bracket with suction cups, two extra suction cups, and the user manual.
At the first glance I liked the overall look of the box with the “Green Product” sign that caught my attention. After opening the box I began to analyze every item in it. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised while reading the user manual, because it’s very easy to understand, has many pictures and a summary presentation.
The product is easy to handle after a quick reading of the manual. The in-car charger too is easy to handle and you know when it’s charging the device by looking at the red LED light status indicator.
The Nexxus Drive Multi Solar Bluetooth Car Kit is easy to mount on the windshield and easy to use while driving the car, because it doesn’t distract your attention from driving, allowing you to keep talking with the eyes on the road. If you are a beginner in driving, this product will be even more useful, because you can concentrate on driving your car and answer important calls by quickly pressing the dedicated button on the device.
The device features the loud speaker, the microphone, a LED that turns blue or red, depending on the current task it performs, a 5-pin USB charging socket, a Mute button, the Multi-Function Button, volume buttons (to increase + or decrease – the volume) and the solar panel (located on the back and ready to capture some solar light to provide more hours of use).
To start using the device you have to keep the MFB Button pressed for about four seconds until you hear a short beep and the blue LED flashes five times. The speakerphone automatically connects to the last connected mobile phone.
If you’re using the device for the first time, place it close to the mobile phone and keep the MFB Button pressed for about six seconds, until the LED will flash red and blue alternately. When this happens it mean that device is ready for pairing. Next step is to activate the Bluetooth function on your mobile phone and search for Bluetooth devices. When the search is over select “Drivemultisolar” from the list and enter the default code “0000”, then press “OK”. The mobile phone is now paired with the device.
When Nexxus Drive Multi Solar is paired with your mobile phone the blue LED flashes every 3 seconds in the standby mode. When it’s on the talk mode, the blue LED flashes once every 6 seconds.
It’s very easy to power it off – just press and hold the MFB button for about four seconds until you hear the same short beep and the red LED flashes five times.
To receive a call, or to end one, you have to short press the MFB button, then when you want to reject a call you have to keep the button pressed for about two seconds.
Specifications of the Clip and Talk Bluetooth Car Kit – Solar Edition are:
• Bluetooth V2.1+EDR (enhanced data rate)
• Operating distance: up to 10 meters
• Frequency: 2.4 GHz – 2.48 GHz unlicensed ISM band
• Supports headset and handset 1.5 profiles
• Paired device memory: 8 paired devices
• Talk time: Up to 13 hours (excluding solar charging)
• Standby time: up to 800 hours (excluding solar charging)
• Charging time: Using USB/car charger: around 3 hours (18 hours via solar panel)
• Charger voltage: DC5.0V 550 mAh
• Rechargeable battery type: 650mAh lithium-ion
• Size: 92.5 x 54 x 15.5 mm
• Weight: 60g without windscreen bracket, 69g with windscreen bracket
Why I like the Nexxus Drive Multi Solar Bluetooth Car Kit:
- It’s lightweight and small (60g without the windscreen mount and 69 g with the windscreen mount).
- It’s easy to use. I can use only the MFB button for all functions.
- The device is indispensable, taking into account that you could lose points from your license, or even cause an accident without it.
- It charges fully in less than 3 hours.
- The solar panel helps a lot when you can’t charge it via the car charger and also reduces the frequency of recharging by conventional means.
- It comes with two additional suction cups, which is useful especially when you lose or break the original cups.
- Communication through this device is crystal clear (based on the its DSP technology).
- The Lithium Polymer battery provides up to 13 hours of talk time, or up to 33 days of standby time, from a single charge.
- No installation is required; simply attach it to the windscreen and start pairing with your phones.
What could be improved:
1. During a phone conversation, I can hear the other person very clear, but at the other end, the sound is a bit stuffy.
2. The supported wireless range is of up to 10 meters (33 feet), but sometimes the connection is disrupted. Anyway it’s more for in-car use so this may be overlooked.
You can read more about the Clip and Talk Bluetooth Car Kit – Solar Edition from Nexxus at Mobile Fun, where it’s available for £24.95.
The review is the personal opinion of Ladies’ Gadgets based on the experience with the sample product sent by MobileFun, which is the only compensation we received.